Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Something Swedish #3

Today is a somewhat slow day since Diane, her mother and her sister left to go to Gothenburg for today and tomorrow. I've worked on job apps, my senior scrapbook, and I'm just about ready to go to practice. I'm going an hour early again today to work with some of the players who want to pitch.

For the third installment of Something Swedish, I will be writing about the SMAKA! It is a silver spatula-like tool with a slit at its base. I first saw it when I went to Leksand my second weekend here and it was on top of a block of cheese. I held it, having no idea how to use it. Do I use it like a knife and slice the cheese? I mused to myself. I backed away from it, allowing someone else to go in front of me so I could sneakily observe. The picture below is a perfect demo of the handy tool as it slices perfect strips of cheese to lay flat on bread.
GENIUS! I must say. Why do we not use these in America!? I always have marveled at my mother's ability to slice perfect slices of cheese for sandwiches, and often fail to do so myself, either cutting myself or ending up with a pile of cheese scraps pathetically piled on the bread. I am definitely getting one of these when I return stateside and have a place to call my own.

For those interested, check it out here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40082367/

No comments:

Post a Comment