Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Down Day


Today was an off day, so I went to the gym to flush out the lactic acid from yesterday's oh-so-strenuous labor, and then I did some scrapbooking. Around 2:00, Jimmy and Lina came to the apartment and we all ventured into town to enjoy an afternoon drink. There are so many kinds of drinks--it's a little overwhelming! I went with a standard cider. There was a market set up in the square so we did a little browsing. It was a very relaxing day.

I had some time to reflect on yesterday's practice and my conversations with my teammates. While on the run yesterday, I talked to Anjelica, a 23 year old student, and she was very curious about America. She had been to NYC and was VERY impressed by all of the big buildings and lights. Most of the girls know friends who have au pair'ed (?) in the US. It's pretty incredible how pervasive the American influence is. With respect to softball, they basically hand over the keys to us and rely on our knowledge to advance the club. They ask us for new drills and want us to come up with practice plans. I'll be going to practice an hour early to work with two of the younger pitchers. I don't know how much English they understand (since they haven't learned as much English in school), but I do a lot of demonstrations. It is fun to have a purpose this summer--to not only win games but also to better the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment