Wednesday, June 13, 2012

5 Senses in Sweden


When I was walking back from the gym, I looked up and the sky was so amazing that I just stopped to look at it for a few seconds. In my junior year of college, I attended a few lectures in a class called "Mindfulness," taught by Ellen Langer. In these few classes, I learned that we are happiest when we are more aware of our surroundings and constantly taking in new stimuli. I remembered this today while looking at the sky, and this made me focus on my five senses in Sweden.

Sight--I've posted a lot of pictures, but many of these sites are best appreciated in real life. Not only is it soooo much greener than back home, but even the sky looks different--there seems to be more depth and fullness to the clouds. (Or maybe I never noticed these things in the States.) I am constantly appreciating everything around me, from the building architecture to the interesting Swedish style choices, and I hope this awareness does not fade over the next few months.

Smell--while I was walking, a man was mowing his lawn so there was the smell of freshly cut grass. Sweden just smells fresh and clean. When we go for runs after practice, I breathe easily and deeply, inhaling the smells of the forests around me.

Feel--Today, I arrived a little early at the field and so I laid down to enjoy some rare direct sunlight. The grass was so soft beneath me, and I experienced one of the greatest feelings--warmth on my skin. It was amazing. I closed my eyes and just basked in the moment.

Hearing--It is amazing to me when I can hear birds chirping on our post-practice runs. I don't know really where you could go in Boston to hear that besides a zoo. This, however, is one sense that could use some attention. I am probably constantly overwhelmed by the thoughts in my head to be fully silent and just listen, but I'll work on it.

Taste--food from Prima. Kebab sauce. Falafel wraps. Haha. Still need to branch out and try some authentic Swedish cuisine.

No comments:

Post a Comment