Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day Trip to Mariestad

Several of my teammates had asked me what I wanted to see in Sweden, and I had read about a harbor town called Mariestad, so we decided to make the trip today on our off day. Anjelica, Lina and Lisa came to pick me up at 12:30 and we got to the town at 1:00. The town was so picturesque, even in the overcast weather. We started with lunch at a Greek restaurant--very tasty--and then I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
The train station was so beautiful!
The town flag, took me many attempts to get this photo, haha
A view from the harbor--this inspired us to walk to the church
The impressive church, built in the 15th century.
The girls thought it was so interesting that I was entranced by the church, and I told them it was because we just don't have buildings like this in the States. This church and the town existed before the United States even gained its independence! I also love taking photos of the buildings so I can draw them later.

This building used to be the mayor's residence but it is now a hotel.
Picturesque--I love the flags, similar to Skovde.
We circled back to the harbor and I took more photos
I HAD to try the creamy ice cream--soooo good! A mix between fro yo and cool whip
That's one bad-a$$ mini golfing crew. Only $3 for a round of 15 holes
A hole in one on the first shot. The Swedes were not happy with me. I should have told them I'm pretty good at random sports like this. (I ended up winning. They told me I had to walk home.)
Every hole featured a miniature of something in the city. This was one of my favorites. Some of the holes were REALLY tricky.
To wrap up the day, we went back to Skovde, and the girls took me to the top of a nearby mountain. Skovde is behind me--it was an amazing view. I'll definitely be back here this summer. They also took me to the grocery store and walked me around it, pointing out good things to buy. These girls are so friendly and so willing to help me out. It really felt like a day out with friends. I love it here! Great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment