Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Best practice yet!

Second post of the day, but today's practice put me in a really great mood! I went one hour early, and I was overjoyed that 6 people showed up for the extra work! One great thing about Harvard Softball is that people play because they want to, and that sentiment seems to ring true here as well. It is so great! I worked with three pitchers during that hour and the other girls worked on some defense.

When everyone else arrived, we ran, did some fun base-running races and then went into defense. I whipped out some old school drills from my travel ball days including relay drills where the end players throw the ball over their heads, simulating balls hit to the fence, and the girls really seemed to like the drills. After that we did short line-long line defensive drills in the outfield. We then moved to positions and did some reps before playing 21 outs. We concluded practice with a run around the lake.

The girls really liked today's practice and I felt great about it. One said to me "You're a good coach." I started to beam. Later this evening, I got two text messages that made me so happy. One said "Just had to write and tell you that practice today was so much fun! Really good job girl!" and the other said "You did a really good job today!!! Be proud of yourself!! It was really fun. :)" How could I NOT be happy after those messages?!

Today was a really rewarding day, and it definitely encourages me to keep doing what I'm doing. I'll be back at it again on Friday, working with the pitchers and running practice again. I'm loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment