Thursday, July 19, 2012

Chokladbollar

First, slight correction to my Something Swedish #3 post...I told Lina about the post and about the Smaka, and she looked at me very confused. Apparently "smaka" is the Ikea name for the utensil, but the real name is 'Osthyvel,' which I guess makes sense since 'ost' means cheese in Swedish. Still a super cool utensil, whatever its name may be!

Now for today's activity! I have been really missing baking these past two months since the Dungeon lacks an oven, but I have seen Chocolate Balls (Chokladbollar) everywhere and Lina told me I could easily make these no-bake treats. I enlisted her help yesterday at practice and did some grocery shopping this morning to get the ingredients (not easy considering the recipe is in Swedish!).
Recipe
3 dl Rolled oats
100 g Margarine
1 tsp Vanilla sugar
1 dl Sugar
2 tbsp Cocoa
2 tbsp water
Pearl Sugar (for rolling)
Lina and I had to do some conversions since the recipe was in deciliters and our measuring cup was milliliters, (although that was easy--gotta love the metric system), and we were quadrupling the recipe. All the ingredients are added above and we were ready to mix!
Thankfully Lina brought her hand mixer because otherwise it would have gotten very messy mixing by hand.This is the mixture before the magic.
I rolled three plates worth of chocolate balls while Lina kept me company, (she didn't want to get her hands dirty, haha). Final opinion: DELICIOUS!! Like I said, I have been wanting to make these all summer, and now that my grandmother, aunt and sister are coming to visit, I finally had an occasion to do so! I plan on bringing a plate of them to the games on Saturday for my team as well. Check that off the Swedish bucket list!

No comments:

Post a Comment