Saturday, August 11, 2012

Like a proud mother

Today Diane and I were picked up from our place at 7:20 to go to Orebro for a two day tournament. We had 10 players, and it was a struggle to get that many. We were missing many of our starters but this was a good opportunity for some of the new girls to get more playing time. The games were scheduled an hour apart from each other and were no-new-inning after 50 minutes. Another interesting rule to keep games moving was that only 9 batters could hit in an inning.


The first game was against Leksand. We scored several runs in the first inning and Lisa was the starting pitcher. She was nervous so I was happy to be next to her at first base to talk to her. I will always remember the look on her face when we made the third out with no runs scored--she was so happy and I felt like a proud mother since she has worked so hard these post few weeks on her pitching! She did so well!! All her hard work paid off. Leksand scored a few runs in the next two innings and the final score was 3-7 or so. Not too bad! Except for the last inning, Lisa did wonderfully and hardly walked anyone. Wahoo!

We played Enkoping in the second game and Nathalie was the starting pitcher. She, too, made it through the first inning scoreless, and again I was so proud! I think I was most happy with her composure in the game. The final score of this game was 4-6, so we were getting closer! 


We had a long break after the second game so we went to an athletic store outlet. I found an awesome onesie with Swedish crowns on it but I didn't end up getting it, despite my teammates trying to talk me into it. Then the team went for ice cream and headed back to the fields for warm ups. 


We were playing Sundsvall in our final game and we had a pick up player for the day to pitch. Things didn't go so well for her so we had to make a quick pitching change. With bases loaded we brought Lisa in and she did a great job considering the circumstances. We got out of the inning and Lisa did really well in the next two. She gave up a home run and I welcomed her to the club. AND she got a strike out! Sundsvall pitched its American pitcher and we didn't score many runs, so another loss for the day. 

Overall there were a lot of good things that I saw from the Saints today but there are also a lot of things for us to work on this week in practice before the European Cup in Ostrava. Hopefully we can pull out a win or two tomorrow!  

No comments:

Post a Comment