Sunday, August 19, 2012

Travel Troubles and Ostrava Day 1

We left the dungeon around 4:15 yesterday with Tess and Jimmy. We stopped for dinner and shortly after we heard that our 10:00pm flight was delayed to 11:30. Great. We killed time in the airport bar, bought chocolates, played cards and received Swedish lessons. Ful means ugly and full means drunk. Careful not to mix those two up! 

The flight ended up leaving around midnight and landed in Poland at 1:30 am. Three cars were there to pick us up and drive us the approximate hour and a half to Ostrava. We arrived at our dorm/hotel at 3:30 in the morning. Diane and I are roommates, (surprise), and I crashed on the bed almost immediately despite the paper thin walls and our chatty suite mates. 

This morning we had the option to go to breakfast at 9:30, but my alarm seemed the ring too early so I hit snooze...until 11am. Priya, Maria, Diane and I went to the grocery store to get lunch foods--another foreign supermarket experience reminiscent of my first time in Maxi, the Swedish super market. I did find my favorite beer from when I was in Prague--I got one lemon and one grapefruit can. Each was only 75 cents, about half the price of coca colas! 

The team then walked to the field for practice. It was a pretty rough practice--we didn't look that sharp. The field was pretty rock solid and the outfield was really bumpy, and I'm guessing we are all a little tired. The hitting did look good though, so hopefully we carry that into tomorrow. I'm not quite sure what to expect from these games. Lina said that teams in the past have gone win-less in the Cup and told us not to expect to win, but I am not that intimidated by the other teams. The other girls seem nervous, but I'm only excited. Only tomorrow will tell I guess. 

Our dorm doesn't have wifi access so we decided to go to dinner at a restaurant that had wifi. I'm at the restaurant now and I'll be anxious to see what I order since the menu is in Czech...

Well dinner took about 2 1/2 hours. That's definitely one thing I miss about the States--good customer service! People don't tip here so there is little incentive for waiters to be good. Also, I miss ice water. Can't wait for my first huge glass of free ice water at an American restaurant. Back to the hotel now and team breakfast tomorrow at 8:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment