Saturday, September 15, 2012

HODAD's

I had trouble sleeping last night--I was anxious both about the games today and about "real life" rapidly approaching. I was trying to figure out auto loans last night when it hit me that I'm starting something very big and very soon! Despite the restless sleep, I woke up ready to go this morning.

The team met at the Scandic Billingen hotel in downtown at 9:00 am. It is a very cool old building, and I was very excited to be eating breakfast there, even though we encountered the Leksand team since they stayed there the night before, grrrr....  Regardless, the breakfast was pretty amazing! You can see some of the food in the pictures below: pickled herring, cold cuts, cheeses, peppers and cucumbers, and my favorite of the morning, a waffle with whipped cream and jam. I made it in an adorable waffle iron that I really want to find on Amazon.


After the filling and delicious breakfast, we got to the fields around 10:00. On the way, we decided that we needed a new tougher team name, and we decided on the HODAD's, the Harbingers of Death and Destruction, haha. The field looked great, and we warmed up for the game. After a ceremonial first pitch was thrown out, it was game time. The very first Leksand batter, an American who went to the University of Dayton, led off with a bang, hitting a flaring triple down the right field line. A past ball two pitches later allowed the run to score, but we got out of the inning with minimal damage done. In our half of the inning, we managed to score 2 runs, but I lined out to the pitcher for a double play to end the inning. Darn it. The score stayed that way until the 5th inning when we scored 1 more run. It was good we did because Leksand scored also 1 more, bringing it back to a 1 run game. 3-2. In the 6th inning, we scored one more, which again was a good thing since Leksand managed to push just one more across in an exciting/nerve-racking final inning. My heart was pounding the entire game, but I was so relieved to get that first win under our belts. It wasn't a "pretty" game--we made several crucial base running mistakes and left runners on in clutch situations--but a win is a win, and we would gladly take that. I had a rough game at the plate, contributing basically nothing, but I was determined to have a better offensive game in the next game.


30 minutes after the first game, we took the field again. Tess's arm was still hurting from last weekend's pitching performance, so Priya was our starting pitcher. We got through the first inning 1-2-3, and we had a great opportunity to score with bases loaded, but unfortunately I grounded out to SS, ending the rally and stranding all 3 runners. I was so frustrated since I had been struggling all day! Leksand scored 1 in the next inning, and I could feel us start to tighten up. In the third inning, Leksand tacked on another 2 runs, bringing the score to 0-3. My next at bat was a better one as I battled close to 10 pitches and legged out a grounder/error to SS, but I was stranded at first. The team felt the pressure as we were held scoreless through five innings. In the bottom of the sixth though, I had the chance to redeem myself and was up with 2 runners in scoring position. A double to left-center brought in the two runs, and a line shot down the third base line by our next batter allowed me to score, (and I was thrilled that I didn't have to slide!). We were back in the ball game, tied 3-3.

Going into the top of the 7th, Leksand was at the top of its line-up, and they managed to score 2 runs. I was confident we would put up a good fight in our half since we also were at the top of our lineup, but I was definitely still nervous. Diane beat out a close play at first base, Maria B. popped up, Priya walked, Tess was intentionally walked, (in Sweden, a pitcher can just say "4 balls" and doesn't even have to pitch to intentionally walk someone!), and Maria J. grounded out. I was up to bat once more with another chance to put us back in the game with bases loaded and 2 outs. I watched several pitches go by: ball, strike, ball, strike. 2-2 count. The next pitch was delivered on the outside corner and I poked it to right-center for a single. 2 runs scored and we were tied once more! We had runners on first and third and the score was 5-5. 2 pitches went by, and then there was a wild pitch. Maria scored, and we won the game!!! Such a great comeback victory, and I was so happy to have gotten over my struggles at the plate so I could contribute to the game. After the game, Nathalie handed out chocolate balls to celebrate the wins.
 

Anders came to the game to cheer us on, and when I went over to talk to him after the game, he said to me, "You almost made me not living anymore," which I think meant that he was very nervous. He gave me plums and chocolates for in between games, and he gave me flowers from his garden at the end of the games. He said they are the last of the summer, and they now have a prime spot in our apartment.


So proud of the team today, and the two wins puts us in SUCH a great position going into the next weekend. We hope to win the first game next Saturday, but if we don't, I am allowed to pitch the fourth game. Such a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment