Sunday, September 16, 2012

Lazy Sunday

I let myself sleep in this morning. Sure, I guess I sleep in every morning until around 9, but after yesterday's games, I treated myself to an even later wake up call. Diane was visiting relatives, so I was on my own for the day.

I watched a lot of "How I Met Your Mother" to get ready for the season premiere, (which I'll be watching in Boston with my college roommate soon!), and I started to work on a video for my team. I love season recap videos because they are fun to make and fun to watch. I enjoyed going back through the photos from the entire summer to put together a fun video for my teammates.

At 4:00, I went to watch a handball game with Nathalie and Lisa. It was the Skovde team's first game of the season. Unfortunately, the team lost to the defending league champion, Gothenburg, but it was still fun to watch since the only other time I've seen the sport was when I watched it on TV in the Olympics. There were a ton of fans, and it is easy to see which sport the community supports considering we had a very small crowd at our championship games. There were a few younger handball teams there to root on the Skovde team, showing that the Swedes start this sport early. One thing I found interesting is that while American sports are mostly either collegiate or professional, the Swedish sports are all based on community clubs. Sports are not tied to schools or universities here. The handball players and other athletes compete for their home town teams. The players on the handball 'A' team for the city get paid for playing, but I was told that it isn't enough to live so the players also have to have part time jobs. They train every day, and sometimes 2 times per day, so it is definitely time consuming! Very interesting.


To wrap up this post since it's late, I have more exciting news--I bought a car today! The person who is moving out of the house that I am moving into was selling his car, and I spoke with him today to make the deal. It is a 2007 Toyota Yaris and is so cute! It's manual, but my dad reassured me that he will be able to teach me in the few days we have together when he and my mom come to New York to help me move in. Yet another major life moment!!



1 comment: