Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Thank you to the Skovde Saints

Dear Skovde Saints family,

As I reflect on these past four months, my mind is flooded with amazing memories, and I am overwhelmed with so many positive emotions. I vividly remember getting off the plane in May and meeting Malin and Lina at the airport, giving them a hug and having no idea what was in store for me. Now, I can say that without a doubt this was one of the best experiences of my life, and I have all of you to thank for that.

Tess wrote to me before I arrived that playing softball in Sweden makes you love the sport even more. I didn’t understand this back then, but I get it now. Despite rainy weather, having to fight the town to give you a proper dirt field and sparse crowds at the games, (at least compared to handball, haha), you all show such strong dedication and commitment to this team and the game. You were all eager to learn, to work hard and to get better at practices. Special shout out to Lisa, Vanessa and Nathalie for coming early to so many practices to work on pitching—I’m so proud of all of your efforts, and you have all gotten so much better! (And I know many of you would have come early if your work schedules allowed). All of your hard work paid off, and celebrating our TWO championships in Ostrava and Skovde were perhaps my favorite two nights of the summer.

The memories of the games and practices were great, but most of my favorite moments of the summer took place off the field. You were all so incredibly welcoming, and you opened your hearts and homes to make room for Diane and myself. Despite the language barrier, I never felt excluded and your translations kept me involved at all times. And, this team was FUN! Dancing, singing, acting goofy, making “the face,” haha, there was never a dull moment with the Saints. I laughed so much and enjoyed every moment of team time.

Angelica said on my last day that she is so happy she started playing softball, and I couldn’t help but think the same thing. Softball has given me so many wonderful opportunities, this one included. I have loved this time so much, and I feel soooo incredibly lucky to have met you all. The places I saw and the things I did were incredible, but the people I met were simply the best. Sweden has a place in my heart now, and the memories and relationships I made during my time here will stay with me forever. I know I will be back at some point, (and I’ll try to get back next summer!), but I hope you all know that you have a huge Saints fan for life in the States, and you all have a home with me if you ever come visit. I only hope I can return the favor someday and show you my neck of the woods.

Thank you from the very bottom of my heart for absolutely everything. I will remember this summer for the rest of my life and look back on it with a smile on my face.


Love,
Rachel (Rakel)

No comments:

Post a Comment